Love Will Return

Angela - Parsons, Kansas

Love Will Return

Four years ago, I met, Alex, the most beautiful, charming child I have ever seen. My niece was two years old at the time, and I was entranced by her striking appearance. She has gorgeous, brown skin that lightens in the winter and tans so easily in the summer. I have never seen hair that compares to Alex’s thick set of dark brown curls with light brown and red highlights. Big brown eyes that can win over anyone’s heart are what really catch attention though. Alex has a smile charming enough to match. She has the most charismatic personality of any child; laughter always follows her. However, this innocent child endured what no person should ever have to, abuse, neglect, and loss of family.

Alex was a victim of child abuse and ended up with a broken collarbone and two broken legs at the age of eight months; her biological mother was charged with child endangerment, and her mother’s boyfriend was charged with child abuse. My sister, Pam, dated her biological father for five years and raised Alex from the time she was nine months old. Pam was the primary care giver and breadwinner of the family. She had a steady job, paying all of the bills and for all of the necessities that come with raising a child. Her boyfriend, Aaron, worked off and on, the longest job lasting three months and spent most of his time at his friend’s house. With Aaron missing in action, Pam and Alex formed a bond, of not only mother and daughter, but of best friends; they only had each other. Aaron moved back to California with his family when Alex was four. All the while, Pam lovingly cared for her child with all her heart. A year and a half later, my sister met her now husband, Lyle, and began dating him. When Aaron found out about the situation, he hopped on the first flight to Kansas to take my niece back with him. He hardly had any impact on Alex’s upbringing to this point, but he was not going to let some other man raise her either. With no legal rights to her daughter, my sister fought for her through the courts and lost. Alex is gone now, but will never be forgotten in the hopes that one day she will return to us. Love will come back to us one day.