The Power of Music

Alex - Portland, Oregon

I believe that music has the power to sooth the soul, the ability to transcend all differences in the human race. For me, music is a release, a soundtrack to my life and with today’s modern technology it is readily available everywhere you may find yourself. Musicians are artists with the ability to spread their passion and gift to anyone who chooses to stop and listen. I believe in the lyrics, in the beats, in the chords, in the rhythm and in the beauty of song.

Through some of my personal choices, I ended up in some bad places and I was forced to consider where I was headed in life. I began to turn my life around and spent some time simply sitting around and cogitating life. During some of these sessions I just sat and listened to music; new music, old music, tracks my parents grew up with, and songs that brought back memories. Music began to become a ritual for me, I remember purchasing my first CD player in middle school, and getting in trouble all the time for listening to it when I was not supposed to be.

I believe that musicians have the ability to become more powerful than many of our modern politicians. Music has the ability to reach far beyond anyone’s imagination. Just look at the music industry, satellite radio, H.D. radio, MTV and VH1, iTunes, iPods, Rhapsody, and so much more. Every time I get in the car the first thing I do is plug my iPod to the dash and find my favorite tracks, it has almost become a ritual. People in every walk of life listen to music, from kid’s songs, to MTV hits, all the way to church hymns; music is the most widespread form of communication.

I believe in the relaxing power that music holds, no matter where you are, or what ails you, music has the ability to take you away. I use my music as a tool to keep me relaxed, and happy, there is a song for every mood, every minute. I love “plugging in,” and letting loose, just turning on my iPod, closing my eyes and listening. Through some of the hardest times in my life I found music as my solace, the one thing I could always turn to. When asked what my favorite type of music is, I simply reply, “everything,” because I really do listen to everything. Each type of music has its own power and unique sound and I love finding a new “favorite” song/artist/genre/album etc (which usually happens at least once a week). My religion is music.

Throughout history, music has shaped our society. We look to such artists like Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart who were the first to produce a sound that was appreciated worldwide. Elvis Presley sparked a revolution, created a following more powerful than that of the Pope. The Beatles were an international phenomenon, and started a total social reformation. Each decade or century is associated with music, the roaring twenties, the jazz age, the birth of rock, disco, hair metal, grunge, hip hop; each an icon of modern history. Even today’s politicians are associating themselves with musicians in a hope to attract more votes and followers, simply because music has the ability to reach far beyond the traditional idea of politics. Some of the most powerful figures in American and world history were musicians and some of today’s musicians will probably follow the same path.

I believe in the power of music. I believe the pulse, the passion, and the vision behind each track. Music is my comfort in every situation, and I cannot begin to think of a life without it.