Cheerios: the Simple Joys of Life

Julia - Mason, Ohio

I believe in Cheerios. What’s not to believe about Cheerios? They are very simple little realities: little mini life savers made of flour. Cheerios can teach a great lesson in their sometimes short, seemingly insignificant life on the pantry shelf. That lesson is to appreciate the simple joys in life.

There is absolutely nothing complicated about plain little Cheerios. Unlike other cereals and Cheerios’ own relatives (Honey Nut Cheerios, Fruity Cheerios and the like), they don’t fill themselves with large amounts of sugar, or change the way that they look and taste with artificial colors and flavors. Cheerios like themselves just the way that they are, and that is one of the simple joys of life.

Cheerios are a loving little cereal. There are hearts on their commercials, and hearts on their boxes. Apparently they’re also good for your heart. The heart is that one universal symbol of love, a sign of caring. A reminder of the love between family, between friends and neighbors, and between a boyfriend and girlfriend or a husband and wife. That is another of the simple joys of life.

Cheerios remind me of the simple joys of childhood; the fun that doesn’t have some ridiculously overpriced cost for admission. The Cheerio-shaped containers that held that favorite cereal of ours as we went about our little carefree day are like the minds that held our little memories, experiencing the excitement of childhood. The excitement of running barefoot through the puddles after a rain, and of feeling mud squishing between little toes. The excitement of catching a firefly on a warm summer night and then watching it fly away, blinking its tiny little flashlight as it goes. The pleasures of childhood some of the very best of the simple joys of life.

The Cheerios in my life are the simple moments that I always look forward to. They are thing like going to the park with my little brother; relaxing outside on a nice day, with a good book to read. They are being able to be with the people in my life that are most important to me. These may not be unique, or seem particularly exciting in anyone else’s eyes, but they are my Cheerios: the simple joys in my own life.

I believe in Cheerios and the lesson hidden in that big, yellow box. I believe in appreciating the simple joys of life, and living life to its fullest potential. I believe in finding out who I am and, like those little Cheerios, learning to like myself the way I am. I believe in the love between family, friends, neighbors, and significant others, and in the continuous bond that this love creates. I believe in all of these things that fall into the same category: simple joys of life. Who knew that Cheerios could mean so much?