Love One Another

Barbara - malden, Massachusetts
Themes: equality

Love One Another

Discriminate- v. to make distinctions in the basis of preference or prejudice. This is Webster’s definition of discriminate. My definition is altered. I believe that discrimination is one hating on another based on ignorance.

I began to theorize about discrimination in August of 2007. It was a Sunday and my nana wanted to enjoy her birthday at Applebee’s. When assigned to our seats I noticed a pretty lady sitting with what appeared to be her grandson, the table next to her was a middle aged lady sitting by herself. The waitress came and gave us our menus. The lady that was sitting by herself gave me a look of disdain. I ignored it. When I looked at my nana she was shaking her head. As I put two and two together, I realized that the look was in fact directed towards my grandmother. I asked my nana if she wanted to move and she stated with discomfort, “No sugar, I’m not running this time.” That was the end of that situation. The whole ride home was silenced.

Breaking the silence, I asked, “Nana what happened between you and that lady?” She sighed, and then started to tell me that, the lady’s name was Rachel and that she was a former friend’s daughter. She told me every time she would visit Rachel’s mom in the hospital Rachel would make a remark saying that “niggers wasn’t allowed to see her mother.” When my nana was telling me the story, I felt myself gaining a strong hatred for Rachel. But after listening to my nana tell the story with a smile on her face the hatred was deteriorated.

I learned a lesson. In life, not everybody is going to accept you for who you are. There will always be a handful of ignorant people judging you because most of the time they are unhappy with themselves. My nana’s advice, “takes the good with the bad, and enjoy life.” From that day on my nana’s words stuck with me. When I know that a person don’t like me because of any stupid reason under the sun, I often find myself not getting mad. I look at them and smile. Not to piss the person off, or make them hate me even more, I do it simply because I’m walking away a better person. You too should try it.