Birthdays are Special

Ellen - Falls Church, Virginia
Themes: birth, family

Birthday – the day in each year that is the anniversary of the day somebody was born.

I remember my mother always making birthdays special. We would have a family dinner and a birthday cake of my choice. I loved cakes with whipped cream icing! The one thing that sticks in my mind about the family birthday dinners is the little plastic baskets that were placed at each person’s plate. Inside the basket would be those little pastel colored mints. I always thought those were so special.

Because of my mother’s efforts to make birthdays special, it was only natural that as my husband and I raised our six children, we made birthdays special also. We had a family dinner with the menu selected by the birthday person. Each child could pick the shape of their birthday cake. The birthday person also gets to use a special red plate for their meal.

Now our children, in their own way, are carrying on the tradition of making birthdays special with their children. What a wonderful way of letting someone know that they are loved and that we are glad they were born.

In honor of her 82nd birthday, I want to say: Thank you, Mom for making birthdays special!

This I believe: Birthdays are special!