Everything Happens for a Reason

Lauren - Mason, Ohio
Themes: purpose

All things are meant to happen no matter how small they are. Everything in your life happens for a specific reason. I know this sounds really cliché but it seriously true if you think about it. Something you did earlier on in your life caused something else to happen which caused another thing to happen. It is a chain of events. There is one event in my life that made me fully believe that everything is for a reason.

It was down to two choices: Wittenberg and the DAAP program in the University of Cincinnati. They were both completely different schools but they both had things that the other one didn’t. I had to decide what I cared about more, the actual school or the program that they offered. For the longest time I wanted to go to Wittenberg until I found out that I was accepted to DAAP at UC and then I really had a dilemma.

I went to go visit UC and right away I could tell that they were very disorganized because they had us go to this meeting that we did not need to go to and this caused us to skip the meeting that we really should have gone to. I left the school feeling like I wanted to go there despite them being disorganized. I liked the fact that they’re program was one of the top in the country and that was basically the only thing I actually liked about that school.

Later on I got a call saying that I was accepted for the theatre scholarship at Wittenberg, which would make the tuition the same amount as UC. I immediately took that as a sign that I should go to Wittenberg.

Some of the best things in your life come from doing things that you didn’t want to do at the time. When I was in eighth grade my mom bought tickets for me to see this play that I really didn’t want to see because I thought plays were plain boring. I brought my best friend in hopes of making things a little more interesting. After the play was over, I was in love. I was in love with the play and all the kids that were in it. I tried out for the group that put on the play and I was in it for three years. It was probably the best thing I had ever done in my life.

I have realized that if I always keep an open mind and know that everything happens for a reason then I can live with no regrets. This doesn’t mean that I just sit back and let my life happen. I actually do the opposite. I take every opportunity that I can and see where it takes me. It opens a lot of doors for me this way.

I believe that you learn from experience more than anything else. Almost all of my experiences in my life have taught me something and that is why I think that they were meant to happen. All those events have shaped my life and who I am today.