What Does Not Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger

Taylar - Spencer, Indiana
Themes: death

Have you ever felt like there was nothing to live for anymore? I have had times in my life that have shaped experiences where I felt like that, but not anymore. I believe that what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Times in my dad’s life have made this core belief for me. I believe that when a death close someone occurs it will make him or her stronger. One of the reasons I agree with this core belief is because my dad had two best friends and three years ago one of my dad’s best friend died. My father and he had been best friends since they were little. All three of them had the same anniversary date. Chris had died four days before their anniversary of October 10, 2005. When they were in high school, they actually created a name for the three of them called B.R.a.T, which composed of their last names, Brown, Ranard, and Truesdel. When Chris died, I had never seen my dad so sad in his life. He never wanted to do anything. One day about a year after Chris’ death, my dad and Mark were talking and they realized that after all, it him stronger.

My main reason that has shaped this core belief for me is something that is very personal. When I was 12 years old and my brother was 7, we had gone on a Spring Break trip to Florida with my mom. My mom didn’t have a lot of money, so she was living with my grandparents. She and my grandpa had got into an argument the night we got back. She left and took my brother and I to one of her friends’ house. I didn’t like her friend that much, so I called my Aunt Sharon and told her I didn’t want to be there. She called my grandma and she came to get me that night and took me back to her place. Days passed, weeks passed and no one had heard from my mom. The family had tried to call her; we got her voicemail or we just got the busy signal.

She was gone for about 3 weeks and my dad and my brother’s dad, Steve, had set up a court appointment the day she got back, but supposedly she was so high on drugs that she couldn’t keep her answers straight. The judge decided that we would live with our dad until we were 18. Ever since the day that she left us, I have remained distant to her. Losing my mom was so painful to me. I’m waiting for the day my brother asked me what really happened, because he doesn’t know the truth. I know he will ask me when it’s time for him to know.

My belief about what does not kill me makes me stronger has helped me through so much. I believe that everyone should think about this quote one time or more in their life