I believe in the right to keep and bear arms.

Luke - spencer, Indiana
Themes: freedom

The right to bear arms does not mean that I have the right to keep a bear’s arms or to wear a sleeveless shirt. What the Second Amendment means to me is what it meant to the people that created the Constitution. It is the right for me to keep firearms. Whenever I go hunting or shooting or if I just think about how this nation was founded, I think of the Second Amendment and how it has made our lives what they are today.

The freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, and freedom to keep and bear arms are all equally important. All of these freedoms were, and still are essential to the American way of life. We must not forget that without firearms we might still be under the rule of England! When the patriots were rebelled, what would happen if the Americans were armed with knives and pitchforks instead of muskets? Our forefathers knew the importance of firearms in their lives and made it clear in the constitution.

I haven’t ever used a gun for self-protection, nor do I ever want to. But it’s the fact that I could, that makes me believe in this right. I just use firearms for fun. When I was little, my grandfather would come down from Michigan to visit. He would almost always take my brother and I into the woods behind my house with a nearly antique 22 rifle and practice shooting. He always reminded us about the safety on the old gun. He always reminded us, “red means dead and green means safe.” I still remember almost all the lessons that he taught my brother and I during the years that he was still here. Whenever I think of that, I remind myself that guns are a part of my heritage and a part of who I am.

I am only 14 years old and do not know a lot about life and the government, but all of these statements lead me to believe that I have the right to keep and bear arms. I hope that when I get older I will still hold this belief to be true.