I Believe in Great Friends

Samantha - Spencer, Indiana

It was very sudden, there I was laughing with friends about something or another and someone says something that strikes me. I can’t even remember what was said or in what context, but it reminded me of one my former best friends. I was then feeling rather nostalgic of the old times. Funny how I was talking to one person and was reminded of a totally different person. A person I haven’t thought of for awhile. Then I remembered. I remembered all the old laughs. I was reminded of the times we talked and had fun, and then I remembered how we just stopped talking, and I seemed to push away one of my greatest friends. These days my life seems to change so quick. One must try not to forget their great friends. Which then made me realize one of my core beliefs, I believe in the great friends.

Friends are something that one can come across easily enough. Anyone can be a friend. I have had quite a few friends in my short life. I could fill pages upon pages of people that I do or have once in the past considered a friend.

Although friends may be easy to come by, great friends are rather scarce. Upon all the names of my friends, I could pick out a few that have really made an impact on my life. Now my list of great friends is rather short, because I believe that great friends are hard to come by. I also think that once you have found a great friend you should never let them go.

I consider great friends the ones that are always there for me no matter what. The ones who would sit with me while I cried for hours on end. The ones that can make me laugh until I cry. Great friends are always ready to lend a helping hand in any situation. They are always there to talk and to give me advice and to just be a friend. Great friends can see past my face and see what I really am on the inside. They understand when I make mistakes and they try to help me fix them. My friends who I consider great are not perfect; they themselves make mistakes, but they learn and just end up being a better person. Great friends are one of the best things that I have ever experienced; they taught me so much not just about myself but about others.

I would advise one to keep great friends close, because they are the ones who really matter. They are very precious and one should try to take good care of them. While I made a mistake in letting one of my greatest friends slip away, I would bet money that the great friend that got lost in the mess of my life would be willing to be my friend again, even though it was my fault that we lost touch. Which is the way that great friends tend to be, truly amazing.