One of a Kind

Angela - Gosport, Indiana

Imagine a world where everyone dressed in the exact same clothes, liked the same music, and made the same art. A world where no one spoke for themselves, or practiced free expression. If no one was original this could very well be the world I be made to live in, even though it would be my personal nightmare. I believe in originality.

As I grew up I changed with all of the fads. I wore the plastic shoes, the scrunches, and wide leg jeans. If wearing a burlap sack on my head were the new fashion, I probably would have worn it. Then when I went to middle school, I changed. I looked around and saw that almost everyone was in most ways the same, the same hair, clothes, shoes, but I didn’t want to be like every other person. I wanted to be original, so no one was exactly like me. I realized that if I weren’t my own person I would never stand out. I would just be another follower. My choir teacher has said since seventh grade “Not everyone can be a follower; someone has to be a leader.” So I want to be that leader, not a follower.

I believe in originality because without it I would just be a clone of every other person on earth. Since I am an artist, I express myself freely, through my art, through my appearance, and through my words. Most of my art is random like me, but represents me. On a good day my art might be bright and cheery, but on a bad day it would be in black and white, not so cheery. A quote by Anthony Storr applies to my belief. “Originality implies being bold enough to go beyond the accepted norms.” I believe that if I can be bold enough to be original, then others should be bold enough to accept the unaccepted norms.

To me normality is overrated. The definition of normal is conforming to the standard or the common type, but my definition of normal isn’t standard or normal. It is being comfortable with who I am, and not changing because it isn’t “normal”.

I think that if everyone were the same, life would be boring. I believe in free expression, in a world where I’m not afraid to be different or speak my mind. I believe in originality, in being me.