Get Off That Cozy Mountain

Derrick - Poland, Indiana

My dad has always said, “In order to help someone, you have to meet them where they’re at; in their valley, in their struggles. That’s when you can bless them in many ways.” I have one core belief that has been a huge impact on my life. I believe that we have to get off of our cozy mountains and help others, who are less fortunate in the valley.

I have helped many people throughout my life. I have given food to people at the local food pantry. My family and I have given a large abundance of produce to people and organizations in the community. I have even helped others by giving them food and water after 2008’s devastating flood. Giving to the needy has been great experience in my life and I wouldn’t want to miss it.

I noticed there was one very crucial thing I had to do. When we were helping flood victims, I had to put myself in the people’s shoes and think about what they were going through. It had to be very tough to lose a house, a car, and only have the clothes upon their backs. I honestly couldn’t imagine it. I have never gone through anything so severe in my life; losing everything. With this realization, it gave me a new drive to reach out to others. The people were thankful for our hands-on cleanup that we helped with. I also had an eye-opening experience with the little boy who we were helping. How could a boy his age have so much joy in such a horrific time? Since I humbled myself, it allowed me to be more understanding of their trying situation.

Many people believe that helping others is a long and hard process. It may be so, but helping others can definitely be an enjoyable and learning time. Plus, it pays off in the end. I’ll give a good example. My family had a large garden for this year, and we were able to give away over five thousand pounds of fresh produce and minister to those in the community. It was long and tiring work, but it definitely paid off. I helped my dad give produce to an organization called “Feed the Child.” It’s where these kids in poverty come to a large building and eat a good, hot meal, have some fun, and learn about the Lord. Every time we got there with a truckload of produce, a bunch of kids ran to us excitedly asking what we had for them for that day. This is the kind of experience that I will never forget in my lifetime.

Helping others in the community has been a big goal for my family and I for a long time. Lending a hand to people isn’t just for the glory for us; it’s to make a difference in the lives of others, and maybe, just maybe plant a seed. So lets get off that cozy mountain and go help someone.