Khushboo - Missouri City, Texas

Self- Determination

Every day, I wake up and tell myself, “You can do it Khushboo.” These words motivate me to give one hundred percent to all my deeds and my responsibilities, for I believe that self determination and hard work are the two main components that inspire me to reach my ultimate goal.

Looking back at all my years, I can honestly say that my viewpoint on life has changed tremendously, and I have gained self-confidence in myself. From being a young, naive child in elementary school, I have transformed myself into a mature, more responsible teenager confronting high school, a giant roller-coaster riddled with unforeseen turns and times that challenge my virtues. I’ve had to face many hardships throughout the two years of my life that high school has captured. I’ve worried irrationally about my grades and I’ve pushed to keep up with many extra-curricular activities to ultimately get into a prestigious college. Often times, I’ve felt as if I simply couldn’t follow through and couldn’t handle everything in front of me, and I’ve just wanted to quit. The pressure only kept building: keeping up with a social life and a family turned school into a chaotic storm I could barely keep together. I’ve felt like I was falling apart, and how the rest of my high school career would turn out left me apprehensive.

After long months of stress and lack of sleep, my Mom took a day to sit down with me and give me some words of encouragement, “With anything you do in life, do not give up, and just keep going; Keep working hard.”

These sagacious words have proven to be the basis of my principles and beliefs, for I am not scared of the future anymore. My mother’s words persuaded me to go further in life and not worry about the upcoming challenges. She has molded me into a person who knows to put complete effort into everything that needs to be fulfilled, a person who knows to never give up, and a person who is determined to work hard for what she wants.

Today, although life gives me challenges, I face them with an optimistic perspective, rather than stressing myself and worrying every second. No matter what the circumstances are, I am motivated to get an A, I am willing to manage the situation, and I am strong-minded towards reaching my goal of success. Every morning, my mother’s words play like a cassette in the back of my head commanding me to stay strong and keep going.