Maxton - Chesterfield, Missouri

The Falling of Society

I believe that pain, emotional and physical, is a universal element that every human being can relate to. Yet, I also believe that in this high paced society, pain is brushed aside as a nuisance or a temporary irritant that is not worth two minutes of one persons time.

I realized this factor in the inevitable moments of my life when I was forced over from my adolescence into adulthood. Once I reached the age where I was forced out of my childish life, my previous life that was but a bubble inclosing me from the true world, I found that life was a two faced crashing river. One that contains such beauty and peace as untouched water, to another, treacherous river with rapids that can rip out your heart at any given moment. I know this fact from personal experience, what was the loss of many loved ones.

At that point in my life, when I was in the white water of the river and in a wall of a hurricane, I saw many people afloat beside me. Yet, even as I screamed for help, tried to call, no one would comment, no one would speak. They all just took the front of the storm head on and kept moving into the darkness, into the abyss.

I believe that had they talked, we would have been able to find our way out of the torrential waters and onto higher ground. With others help, we could have beaten our emotions, let them out, but also push them away in the end. We could have let the sun shine through the clouds, we could have made it.

So, alone and troubled, I found myself being drawn into that same situation of the code of silence. The code, backed by the belief that the worst of the storm was over and that things would only get better, though true for some, was false for me.

I could never figure out why life was so difficult. Never knew why I was so alone, why I was hurting so much. Then, I realized, I was not alone. Not in the technical sense. Mentally, I was. Physically, no. There were people in the same boat. I saw this, yet, I still hurt.

So, I began to and continue to believe that pain must be let admitted, expressed, shown. It must be uncovered, talked about, put out to the world, not hidden. I believe that no one can deal with their own emotions alone. Even though their storm may pass, its residue will always be with them.

I believe that society needs to stop for a few moments. Pause. Think. Imagine. React. Cry. We need to return to our ways of communication in order to save society. Otherwise, it will fall at the hands of emotion.