The Glad Game

Bryanna - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: hope

This I believe

The glad game.

I believe that there is always a bright side to every situation. A silver lining to every dark cloud that hangs over our lives. You can not choose what happens to you in this life but you can choose how you react to those situations. This is not the easiest of tasks but it is very rewarding. I find it very hard to be positive and upbeat at times. But when I’m able to put aside my childish selfish antics I can be positive and see what I have. I believe when you look at what you have or count your blessings you create more opportunities to see something for what it is. You have more opportunities to serve. To learn and to grow.

My family and I love movies. We are a movie going people. We at one point in time built an art deco movie theater in our basement together. It was a full effort from every member in the family. Along with this love we share a love of the classics. The ever famous movie Pollyanna starring Hailey Mills is about a little orphan girl who changes an entire town because of her sweet optimistic nature. She plays a little game that I take with me everywhere I go. In the movie the game is called the “Glad Game”.

This is where Pollyanna takes something someone finds negative and finds something happy or “glad” about it. Everyone hates Sundays because of the preacher and his negative sermons; another hates Sundays because it means another long hard week ahead. Pollyanna finds that they get stake and ice cream on Sundays and its only 30 more Sundays before Christmas. Finding the good in there pessimistic views. I too play this “Glad Game”. When I am sad or find reason to complain I stop myself after a good pout and then I think what is good about this. I do this with meeting new people and looking at new things I look for the good. I believe this optimistic view helps me be a more open and cultured person.