YUmi - Huntingdon, Pennsylvania

Many people say my mother and I are like as two peas, but our personalities are opposite. I am an optimistic and easy going person, but on the other hand, she is hasty and critical. Therefore, we often have quarrels as an everyday experience.

When I was in junior high school, we had a big argument about my studying. By accident, the day, such as going out with my friends and coming home late lasted. When I got home, my mother’s face was look like an ogre. Her eyes were slanted and mouse was steeply slanting mountain. She stared me and said, “Do you know what time is it now??No sooner had I opened my mouse than she started to scold me. “Why don’t you study? The test is coming.?I was offended and said, “I know, and I’m studying.?Just then, she said, “I don’t think so. Stop studying if you lack the will to do it.?I was irritated because I felt she didn’t understand me at all. I had thought I could do everything by myself without complaining. My feeling was full of anger and vexation, and it becomes my tears and overflowed. I said, “Don’t annoy me. Leave me alone.?And then, I shut myself up in my room.

After a while, she asked me to have dinner. She made “oyakodon?for me. It’s a bowl of rice topped with chicken and eggs. It was hot and steaming. When I had a bite to eat, pointed iceberg of anger was getting to melt in an instant. The taste of mild egg and warmth of rice relieved me. I felt her kindness, and I sobbed again. I could not eat it well because I was blinded with tears. When she saw me, she said gently, “I believe you can.? I noticed she upbraided for my own good. Oyakodon made us a chance of making up with each other. By making it, she shows that she supported me.

I believe that my mother’s home cooking makes me feel comfortable. Whenever I eat my mother’s cooking, I feel happy. She has a job, so she is busy with housework and her own job. However, she spends time preparing food for my family. She considers our health, and cooks nutritious food as much as possible. In addition, she contrives to serve various dishes not to be bored by us. I can feel mother’s love for me when I eat mother’s cooking.

Since I came to America, I can not eat something my mother cooked. I have eaten my mother’s cooking about for 20 years, so I have not noticed they are how important for me. It is an essential part of my body and feeling. I miss my mother’s cooking now, but I have to be patient with instant foods for the present. I thought I may gain weight because of American food, but probably I may be fat after I came back to Japan.