Marta - Huntingdon, Pennsylvania

I am the second to oldest of my mothers siblings, I have an older sister and a brother, and we all live together. For some reason I was not pleased with the family I had, because for me they were always in my way. My sister and I shared a room together since both of us were girls, so I just had no space for myself. There’s no worst thing than sharing a room with your big sister; you just can get rid of her no time. The other reason of my daily “home-unhappiness” was my little brother for he just kept bothering me the whole day long until he drove me crazy. Mom was always at work so there was no one home to put a stop to him. I hated to be at home, all I wanted was to be far away from everyone.

In high school my Civic Moral teacher decided we would visit a Care Center for Homeless Children with Physical and Mental Disabilities in order to do our final exam. We would have to go and pass a few hours with these kids and then turn in a write up paper with experiences and feelings after the visit. This was something very boring for me but I had no choice, other wise I would fail the class.

The children center was a one floor building with a park to the side that had lots of trees in it. When the children came to greet us, I saw a lot of smiling faces like bulbs on a Christmas tree; it looked like they were very happy to have us there. These were children that had been abandoned by there parents because of there disability; there were all kinds: Dawn syndrome, hydrocephalic, metal retarded, poliomyelitis, and others. After being there for a while, I decided to take a walk to see what the place looked like. I found match boxes for bed rooms, with all the paint gone from the walls and a lot of old posters, with around ten bunk beds in each. The space was very small and it needed some serious repairs. This building was in some very bad conditions.

When I learned of all theses things I realize how fortunate I was to have a family and how ungrateful I have been my entire life. After this visit I found out the importance of a family and how people like me were very lucky ones to own one. Since then, my feelings and attitude towards my family members had change completely and I don’t take any of them for granted. Now, I don’t want my family to go away, but instead I want them to always be there, because I believe that families are a blessing from God which not everyone has .