Sahira - 16652, Pennsylvania
Themes: change

The magic of change

When we were little kids we used to believe in magic, believe in magic is a matter of faith. The idea of transform things, to appear and disappear, made as feel a great excitement. For example, to be able to see a magician elevate a person without any wire or support. Those kinds of trick makes as think that there were no impossible in this world. But an adult can’t believe such things; subsequently, as a part of a society we are expected to grow up. We lost our faith in magic among other thing. Unfortunately I became one of those persons.

In Dominican Republic is hard to study medicine. The teachers can be really unfair or even mean to the students. In the first year of my career I met a great person. His name was Roberto and he was studying medicine. He was focus in his studies, so he always made sacrifices such as staying awake all night. Although all this effort, he couldn’t get the grades he need. He became depressed, and as a result of that he stopped going to class and eventually quit. I saw my pedestal being destroyed by a big truck, and I washed the fall in slow motion. I admired him so much. But Roberto transforms into another person and went on a bad path.

Two years later he called me and told me that he wanted to go back to the university. I didn’t know that the death of a close friend woke him up. He did want to change and I didn’t believe him. Sadly that’s how we are; we stop believing the things we used to. But even without my help, Roberto makes the decision and went back to the university. He manages to deal with everything and finished his career.

I believe that people can change, and that’s the real magic. When I saw Roberto go back to the university, I saw an authentic transformation. That made me believed in magic again. After all believing in the change of someone is like believing in a magic trick. It takes a little bit of faith to actually believe what your eyes are seen.