ByungGak - huntingdon, Pennsylvania
Themes: hope

Power of positive thinking

I believe positive thinking gives us power to overcome worry and leads to better life.

When I studied at high school in Korea, I hated that my height is taller than other people (about 6.2ft). Also I was so skinny like a branch without leaves. So my height seemed taller than the fact. Everyone said to me “How tall are you?” when they saw me at first. That question was kind of a burden to me. I wondered that my appearance was strange. I wanted to seem normal person. I had negative thinking about my height and I worried about people’s thinking. I had lost my confidence to meet people especially girls. I didn’t realize my good point.

Someday my friend and physical education teacher asked to me to play basketball. After a few months I joined the basketball competition of local high schools. I was the tallest player of the competition. I did blocking many times like catch a fly. My height was really useful at that time. Finally we would be champion. It was really great experience to me. If I weren’t tall I wouldn’t join the competition. I was glad to help my team and won the competition.

And then I changed my mind to positive thinking about my height because I found good point. My height helps me to be remembered easily to someone who meets me for the first time and to play basketball well. These thinking make me more confident and happier than before. I think everything has both faces and we should find a good point like I found it. A traditional Korean folk tale tells us to find positive aspect is how to be changed our mind.

There was a father who had two sons. His one of the son sell umbrellas, another son sell fans. When rainy day he worried about the son selling fans and sunny day he worried about another son selling umbrellas. The father always worried about his sons. Someday a monk heard the story and he said “You should change your thinking. If rain comes, one of your sons can sell umbrellas more than sunny day. If the weather is sunny, another son can sell fans very well.” After that the father was always happy regardless of the weather. Happiness depends on our mind. Positive thinking helps you to have a feeling of happiness. So we need to find a positive aspect of life. It will make us happy.

Also Positive thinking helps people to be brave. They don’t be afraid of results even if it will be bad. When we learn to ride a bicycle, if we are afraid of falling down from a bicycle, we couldn’t rush toward our destination. Time is too short to reach our own goal if we think only negative aspect of our life. So we try to think positively and make a better life.