The joy of hatred

Louie - 11355, New York

I owe the people who have made me miserable over the years a great deal of gratitude. I would like to sincerely thank all the bullies, the morally depraved, the arrogant jerks that I have met over the years. I thank them because I love to hate them. I strive to be like the people that I respect but I believe that I strive even harder to not be the people that I detest. Their actions serve as a reference point for me and help make me fix up my own behavior and habits.

Hatred has received a bad reputation for being applied to wrong and inappropriate targets, but hatred is a good thing when used correctly. Although some believe that the world needs more love and that love is inherently superior to hate, I disagree. I believe that the world needs just as much hatred of evil things as much as it needs love of good things. Hatred is portrayed in a negative light by the media, but hatred is as “legitimate” an emotion as any other. It is only silly to try and whitewash an emotion that is natural to people.

I can attest that hatred is invigorating and potentially positive. When I was in 6th grade, my teacher picked on me every day to publicly ridicule me. She hoped to elicit laughter from the rest of the class and boost her popularity by making me the butt of her jokes. At first I was just depressed, but soon rage took ahold of me. I began to loathe her with so much intensity that in retrospect I believe I had gone slightly insane, but in a good way. She motivated me to study past her material and work on my own. I had refused to be taught anything by her and I worked by myself. Sustained only by odium, I discarded television, games and all sorts of distracting entertainment. In my mandatory journal assignments, I wrote pages of diatribes where a paragraph would have sufficed. Yet in those writings, I began to move onto other things beside hatred. I began to write about the nature of evil/good, life, death, happiness etc. I had never even taken philosophy, but somehow I began to philosophize. She was the best teacher I’ve ever had because despite my pledge not to learn a thing from her, she inadvertently taught me to think for myself.