Soonyoung - Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
Themes: family, immigrant

I had been living with my family, father, mother and my younger sister, for about 20 years before I started to study abroad. My father was a strict person when I was a middle school student to high school student. He taught mathematics and sciences to me. I was always complaining about that and used to have trouble with my father. But because of my fathers caring, I could choose my major and I’ve been satisfied with my major, Electrical Engineering which is related to computer science, semiconductor and electrical circuit, and it is close to my father’s major. So he is a good advisor now. My mother is very bright woman. She always smiles to others and has ability to make others happy. She has many friends and they used to visit my home. I talk with my mother when I am in good situation or bad one. She is the support of my life. My younger sister, freshman in university, is six years younger than me. Unlike other sisters, she follows me without complaining and we get along with each other. I have appreciated it.

In my country, there are some traditional holidays. In those days, my family used to go good restaurant and have a dinner. We talk to each other and make family plans; for example, going vacation. As my sister and I are getting older, we have less chance to go vacation. Because of that, my family decided to go some special place. So last Newyears day, we’ve been to Hongkong for five days. We went to famous sights and ate delicious foods. We made many good memories. I can’t forget forever. These memories help me to encourage when I have some trouble.

I have been studying abroad since July, 2008. Living in another country is very lonely and hard. When I arrived in America first, I was missing child. I couldn’t focus on anything. I had just arrived Washington DC, I didn’t have any friends, surrounded by many foreigners and had to find hotel where I had reserved. My English speaking was worse than now, so it was very hard situation to me. I was really nervous and finally called to my father. My father is a businessman and he has many experiences to go other countries by business trips. It was 3:00 am in Korea but he explained how to catch a taxi in airport and how to get over many problems. So I could be hotel safely. I was very tired so I went to bed right after arriving hotel. Foods are different from mine. For few days, it was okay, but I was getting bored with American foods. I needed Korean foods. But Korean restaurant wasn’t near my residence. – I moved to residence from hotel – I called my mother and she gave me solution how to make Korean foods. I made some foods and it was not bad. It was good enough to get over sick of foods. In September, I moved to Juniata College to study English. I have met many good friends and get along with them. But sometimes, I want to talk about something deep in my mind. But talking in English isn’t perfect for me so I used to call my sister. After talk with her, I get better.

I still have many problems to live in foreign country but I can get over those things because of my family. I can call to them and they gave me good solutions and let me feel comfortable. When I see my family’s picture, I am encouraged. Without family, my life can be difficult and there is no one to count on. Some good friends and teachers can be a good supporter but it’s different from family. I believe that family gives me someone to count on.