Brittani - Portland, Oregon

Everything happens for a reason. I believe that things happen so that other things can fall into place. Relationships end so that new and better ones can start. Parents divorce so that they can find someone they really love, to make a better life for them and their children. Bad things happen so that you can learn from your mistakes and make the changes in your life that need to be made. People die so that others can be born. It’s all a part of the plan and there is reasoning behind everything that happens.

I was once in a relationship where I was treated horribly. I was cheated on, emotionally destroyed and heartbroken. I stayed in that relationship for about a year and a half. I sucked it up and took everything that came at me because I thought that I was in love. I was only 16 when the relationship started. I still have my whole life ahead of me, but I thought everything had already fallen into place. I was very close to his whole family, and his sisters were my best friends.

It turned out that I was wrong about him. He left and moved away but still insisted on being together, mainly so that I didn’t find anyone better. With my bad judgment I stayed with him when he moved across the country and never came to visit. I said that I trusted him being there without me, but deep down I knew I couldn’t trust him. At the time, being with him and being miserable was better than being alone. We always were breaking up and getting back together. Until about the sixth time. I couldn’t take it anymore and everyone else that was in my life was telling me to leave him. So finally I did. I said we were done, and I have not talked to him since. That’s how you break a bad habit, is just drop it out of no where. If you plan everything out chances are that it won’t happen, and you will fall under temptation. We were done. It was hard to for a while but in the end it was completely worth it.

About five months later I met a guy at work. From everything that I learned in my first relationships, I had many standards to have this guy live up to. I told myself that I would never be in another relationship like that ever again. He knew what I wanted in a relationship and he lived up to it. We have now been together for a little over a year and are very happy together. I learned from my mistakes the first time, and I was not about to make them again. This I believe that everything happens for a reason.