Yes I can

Zach - Beaverton, Oregon

I believe that I can do anything I want to. All it takes is trying. I can fly, if I want to. I just have to figure out how to do that. In high school, I was a bit of a slacker. I never did my work and finished my junior year with a 1.00 gpa. But then, between my junior and senior year, I decided that I didn’t want to be a failure like everyone else. I wanted to be great. And all it takes for someone to be great is for them to apply themselves toward that goal, and that’s what I needed to do. Now, in my senior year, I haven’t missed a single assignment and I’ll be going to college in the second semester. That means I’ll be the first person in my family with a degree, and I’ll only be 19.

It’s going to be a lot of hard work to achieve my goals, but if I try hard enough, I can do it. I can do anything if I try hard enough. That’s the beauty of life; I went from not thinking I could do anything, to knowing I can do anything. All it took to open my eyes was three years of laziness.

I never turned in work, I skipped classes often, did no studying, and was generally a bad student. I was constantly chastised by teachers because they knew I was very smart, but that I wasn’t applying myself. I’ve heard the statement, “I know you can do it, so why aren’t you?” more times than you can imagine.

Who knows where I go from here? I could be anything; I could be president, I could be a CEO, I could be a champion golfer. All I know is that I will be successful. “Successful” is a broad term, that can mean different things to different people. I’m not even really being specific when I use it. I’m not necessarily saying I’ll be rich, or famous, or what have you. I’m just saying that whatever I may choose to do, I’ll end up doing it. It’s all up to me. Well, unless I die unexpectedly. But that probably won’t happen so I won’t darken the theme of this essay with morbid speculation.

This doesn’t just apply to me, though. Anyone can do anything they want. It could take decades of work, but that’ll just make getting there that much more satisfying. What I’m saying is this: Try. Try whatever you want to do, because if you don’t try, you won’t do it.