I am an Otter

Kat - Marshall, Michigan

I am an Otter

I am an Otter… Yes, that is what I said… an otter. You know… that furry little critter you’ve probably seen frolicking around on some Discovery Channel program.

I guess I have always been an otter. I have always loved to laugh and have fun. Let me tell you about the day it was confirmed for me that I truly was an otter.

My sister and I were goofing around on the internet and decided to take an online personality test, one that tells you what kind of animal you are. After a few minutes of answering odd questions, the results were in……”Otter”. The otter is fun-loving, playful, gregarious, creative and loving. The otter’s motto…? “Let’s do things the fun way! “ The page listed lots of other wonderful things about otters then it listed the negative points. The otter’s main weakness is that they sometimes don’t take things seriously enough. “Otters should take a lesson from beavers”.

Shortly after that my sister got her results. Can you guess? … She is a beaver. They are hard working, determined and serious. Their weakness? Sometimes they are too serious. “Beavers should take a lesson from otters!”

Now, if you knew me and my sister, you would know that this silly website hit the nail right on the head

I have gone through many changes in my life. I have moved 12 times, lived in three different states, taught in 5 different schools been married more than once, and recently lost my dad.

As I get older, I find it harder to do some of the physical activities that I once did easily, I recently started to need bifocal contacts and I don’t always recognize the woman looking back at me in the mirror. And…. is it hot in here???

Not all changes are bad. I have a wonderful husband, a stronger faith, great friends; a busy social life, two terrific dogs, and Skyping on the internet has opened up a whole new relationship with my sister, the beaver. (Hee hee, and its fun!)

Because of all these changes, I struggle with the traditional goal-setting question of “Where do you want to be in five years?” Experience has shown me that life can change on a dime. So much can change in five years. Who can honestly answer that question?

I resort to my inner-otter and respond with “I want to be happy”

I believe that happiness is one of the most important things in life.

I want to enjoy living, to have fun and share my life with people I love.

While it is true that I need to think like a beaver sometimes, I honestly believe that if there were more otters in the world, or at least people willing to learn from otters, the world would be a better place. I believe that by being happy, you bring happiness to others. I truly believe that that is what God wants for us.