The Crave

Mark Sewall - Western Springs, Illinois

If there is one sole thing in which I believe, I believe in the craving of White Castle. The craving of White Castle is something every innocent person can be controlled by.

One day, on a Friday night, I was hanging out with my friends when my hunger started to develop. As we sat there watching t.v., my empty stomach came to my attention. As the night went on, the hunger became worse and worse. During that time I began to think: What was I in the mood for? In that little frame of time, a picture of the little burger came into my mind. The soft, gentle slider tantalized my mind. That was it: White Castle. We all agreed to invest our money in 3 Crave Cases (or for the inexperienced, 90 sliders). The pure thought of devouring one of those burgers controlled all of my mind. It was the crave.

The time had come, and the burgers had arrived. We sat in the room patiently dividing each and every burger to each person. The money was collected and the burgers distributed. Then we all came into a deep silence. Soon after, we found ourselves arguing and fighting over the desired burgers. The power of the crave had turned us all into animals.

My belly ached in hunger as I sank my teeth into the soft patty. It had seemed to turn into a speed eating competition, stuffing our faces at an incredible rate. One after another, I ate until I could no longer move. We finally finished and I felt a sense of accomplishment in my head. I saw that the empty boxed had piled up, and the empty Crave Cases caught my eye. I asked myself: What have I done? The processed burgers were not the healthiest of things, and could turn a stomach into a knot of pain. The result was incredible. A boy, who barely liked White Castle, had eaten well over ten burgers. The consequences were well worth the time spent enjoying my meal. I realized that it was the power of the crave, not my own will that made me eat my burgers. As I look back, I would do it all over again if the time presented itself.