My Minnesota Grampa

Benjamin - Minneapolis, Minnesota

My Grandpa, Paul was one of the kindest people I have ever met and was one of the best grandparents in the world. He taught me so many great things, it’s almost unbelievable. The best part about it though, was that he always taught by example.

When I was really little my Gramma and Grampa took care of me a lot. They really loved me, just like they loved their other 7 grandchildren. And they let every one of us know it. Not because they told us all the time or even because they thought we should know, it was because they took such amazing care of us. They never would have been able to do that if they didn’t love us so much.

When I got old enough to do things like water the garden and mow the lawn, well, he put me to work, and I loved it. He way over paid me for the littlest tasks and then he would always take me out to get ice cream with him afterwards. The crazy thing is that he loved overpaying me and he loved spending time with me.

Another thing that I had never realized until long after Grampa had passed, was that when he didn’t have any real work for me to do, he would always disappear and then come back saying he had unexpectedly found something for me to do. Often times this thing was cleaning his workbench. Which certainly wasn’t dirty every single day before I came over. What’s so sweet is that I know that he must have gone down stairs and dirtied up his work bench just so I’d have something to do when I got there.

I learned how to be kind and honest and hard working from that man, and I don’t think he even ever tried to teach me. Now, even though I did learn all of those things, I learned something even more valuable. I learned that being a good, kind person, will make other’s lives so much greater. Everyone that ever met my Grampa could tell you that he was a saint. But I don’t think he could ever even come close to saying he was. That’s just the kind of person he was and his legacy will live in me forever. I hope someday that I will be able to be as good of a grandparent, teacher, and friend as my grampa was throughout his life. I truly believe that if we can all find it in ourselves to act in this way our world could be perfect, or as near perfect as possible. “God love you, I love you, See you in heaven.”