A Couple Words From Outside the Box

Steven - St. Louis, Missouri

People always ask me why I can’t be normal. I always think to myself, what is normal? I would have to guess that normal is a collective of ideologies that one must follow to be in a social norm. I would define this group of people who suppress their own individual actions and desires; in order to take up the actions and ideas that define “normal” in a society or in the box. A group of people who all act in similar ways and like similar things and do similar things are people in a social norm or in the box. I am not in this box that keeps me from doing what I want; I am outside doing what I want and enjoying life to the fullest. People ask me what it’s like to be outside the box; I have always neglected the question till now. Here is my five hundred word answer from outside the box.

I am not the everyday person you see in the store, mall, sports stadium or at school. I don’t see the world in the same way as that every day person you see at the store. I see the world through radically different lenses. People see black, white and grey; I manage to bring in purple, green, and neon orange. I am capable of finding a third solution to a problem that has 2 answers. I bring a whole new perspective to the world.

I enjoy being different, seen outside the box, and as a person not in the norm. I see things people will never see. I have more perspective on everything because I’m so unique. I find things funnier because I can see meanings no one else can see. I have more fun than most people because I don’t care about what people think about me, what they say about me, or what action they take against me. I can do what I want because I’m not afraid to push the envelope because I live to no one’s standards but mine. I feel freer because I am outside the box.

At the individual level, everyone is unique, and special in their own way. Everybody has their own uniqueness and their own will. Everybody brings a new perspective to the world. Even people who place themselves in the box have the potential to bring out their own uniqueness. It is these differences and uniqueness’s that set everyone apart and make the world an interesting place full of culture, ethnicity, and other things unique to people.

Imagine a world that has no differences or uniqueness. Everyone looks the same, acts the same talks the same, and likes to do the same things. The architecture is the same, and the plants are clones of one another. This world would be no fun, it would cease to have interest, and it would cease to amuse anybody. This is why being different and having differences makes the world a better place.

From my perspective, being unique is a great thing. I bring so many things into the world that no one has ever thought of. I bring neon orange into a black and white picture. Every person whether they like it or not adds a color to the black and white world. I add neon orange, while someone might add green, another blue, and then we have the seven billion different colors and a full spectrum of colors to view the world with. People may see me as different or outside the box; but I will embrace this idea of being different. I will continue to walk the path I made away from the box. I will stray away from the box for my entire life because I embrace and enjoy the neon orange that I bring to the world.