Zhongwei - Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
Themes: family, love

This I believe

I believe Love that helps me seek the hope in desperation. Thanks to love, you are able to find

something meaningful when you feel disappointed.

Love is the words said by my mother.

For Chinese students, study must come first; only academic courses seem to be the real courses

Which we should attend; any other courses such as PE, choral, orchestra don’t seem to be useful at

all. Sometimes, entering the universities seems to be the only way to survive in the complicated

and dog-eat-dog society. I can’t deny it; more or less I have to agree to it. However, at least, I

wanted to do something I like such as play basketball, table tennis and badminton, especially my

lovely violin! Without doing them life would seem to be meaningless. But my teachers always

repeated ‘Don’t do such things, it’s a waste of time, it can’t be good for your study’ I felt

disappointed and confused. It was like a heavy stone which pressed on my mind and I wanted to

move it away.

I meant not to tell the disappointing thing to my mum, because I didn’t want to let her worry

about me. However, she’s my mother! She knows my feelings. She sat silently in front me and

said gently to me “What’s the matter, dear? Do you have some problems with the study? Can I

share the unhappiness with you? Perhaps mum can give some suggestions to you.” I looked into

my mother’s eyes which contained love and care, her kindly face was like the soft wind appeasing

my face.

I explained to her what made me upset, she listened carefully, nodding, frowning at the same time.

Then she smiled and said “Come on, my boy. You can overcome it, I have faith in you.”“Have you

thought about combining study with the things which you prefer to? What the teacher said

couldn’t always be true. You can play the violin to relax yourself when you feel tired of studying;

You can do some sports if you don’t feel well with your eyes. I think you can do them well

together! Don’t worry about your teacher, mom can explain something to him for you .” She

continued. She just said some simple sentences, not many words, but they had much

encouragement and influence! I did as my mom said. I really did study well while playing my

violin and doing sports happily. I appreciated my mom’s words, that was her love, which helped

me find the new way to make life meaningful. Thanks to my mom’s words. I really had struggled

to my feet!

What has endless energy to help me find the hope in the desperation and who gave it? The answer

is absolutely–The love, my mother’s love. I believe in love.