Adam - Thousand Oaks, California

This I believe, frustration comes from high expectations. I learned this principle my junior year of high school. It wasn’t something I had expected to get from joining cross-country. I had previously done wrestling for two years but this was because I had made a decision that I just wanted to do wrestling for four years. It was the summer in between my sophomore year and junior year and I had decided that I wanted to try cross-country because it had always appealed to me. So instead of off-season wrestling I did cross-country. I know I wasn’t going to be as good as the other kids my age because I had never been in the sport and they had two years of practice. I wanted to do the sport because I had always thought of myself as a decent runner but I really wanted to do it to try it out because I knew I would probably never have this chance again. I figured it would be better to try it than just stick to the same thing for four years. I have never regretted this decision because I learned a lot even though I figured out that I didn’t want to do cross-country as long live.

Now that I explained the background information I can explain what I learned that I feel is important. I can’t remember exactly what happened so I will explain this to the best of my ability. This took place at a tournament that was really long so I got back really late. I was new to the team and I was also kind of shy so I didn’t have many friends on the cross-country team in the beginning. Whenever we left for a tournament we all had jobs to do. I remember being disappointed in the way people carried out their jobs and how they treated the freshmen. I also had heard the coach for the team was really cool but then right as I joined they had switched coaches. I also was frustrated that it took so long to get home and when we did it was one-o-clock in the morning. This is all the stuff I can remember but I am pretty sure there was more stuff that was getting me frustrated and mad at the team.

When I got home from the tournament I had to call my dad for a ride home. He knew I would be out late at the tournament but not this late. I told him all the stuff that was bugging me and he told me, “If you expect to much of people you are bound to get disappointed, it’s only natural.” This explanation made perfect sense to me. Now that I knew why I was getting mad I had to learned how to deal with it. My initial reaction to my dad’s comment was that I thought it was a bad thing to set someone’s standards so low as to never be disappointed. I told this to my dad and he said if you do that then you would end up treating the person like a child and added that it was important to have a forgiving nature and not to be disappointed when someone makes a mistake. I like this method because it makes sense to me and I think it is very reasonable.