Moments of Escape

Keara - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe in soaring weightless over the ground, and landing with a thud to greet that pain called reality. I believe in focusing on the way the light shines in just the right place to wake me up on a Saturday morning. I believe in hoping for the best instead of expecting the worse. I believe in escape.

Escape. Finding that place to go where it’s brighter than sunshine, and that favorite song on my ipod is on repeat. That beautiful place where I can ignore the sting of that day’s hardships. Where I am weightless, and nothing is there to bother me. That place where I crank the volume and just sing along.

I believe in those moments where all I’m thinking of is the present. When I’m at the gym, working on my tumbling. I can feel myself in the present, and that’s all that I’m focusing on. That’s all I can focus on. The power in my body that is there, just waiting for me to use it. I feel the spring floor under me, and the pure adrenaline rush that pushes me up, tucks my legs, and somehow lets them find the floor again. A standing back tuck. In that moment, I am weightless, until that landing, sucking me back into reality. But for that split second of mid-air, I escape. I escape into the here and now, and focus on the little details that I need to to defy gravity.

I believe in clearing my mind of everything except my favorite song. Closing my eyes and letting everything else leave me. Escaping into that moment. That song that never gets old no matter how many times I’ve listened to it. That song that always feels good to listen to, no matter the mood. Listening to “I Will Follow You Into the Dark” by Death Cab for Cutie, relaxed and in the moment. Laughing because despite the millions of times I’ve listened to it, I still don’t know all the words. For those three minutes and nine seconds, I escape. I escape into the present, and focus on guitar melodies and words I should have memorized by now.

I believe in having the power to fly for a while, and land more rested in reality. I believe in turning up the volume loud enough to forget everything for a split second. I believe in staying in the present even when worries pull me towards the future. I believe in escape.