Emily - Glencoe, Missouri

Why would someone want to lie to themselves or other people, about who they are or what they are like? Why don’t we all just be who we really are on the inside and not be someone who is a fake? People do not always show their true personality. When they do not show their true self they are lying to themselves or others. People lie about their personality to change their characteristics and attitude among other things. I have personally experienced this change in someone and it is sad to watch them become someone different, a fake.

About four years ago when I was in the seventh grade one of my really good friends made this drastic change in her personality. She totally changed who she was and how she acted. The words nice and kind were just a few words that could explain how good of a person she was. She would never do any wrong on purpose. Then, she started to change and act differently. She started doing bad things and acting like an all around negative person. She started lying, cheating, and hanging around bad people, who were mainly part of the cool crowd. I realized then that all of these changes were all because she wanted to hang out with the “hip” crowd. I still see her sometimes but she has and will never be the same person she was in seventh grade to much has changed. One reason for that is, she lied to herself when she changed who she was and that is something that can not easily be reversed. She convinced herself and others that she was different than she really was.

I think that people change who they are and become a fake, because they are trying to improve their social standing. They do this by acting like the more popular crowd so they can hang out with them; just as my friend did in seventh grade. People feel that they have to act like someone else to fit in, when the truth is that the people they are changing for are people who changed for the same reason. My question for this is couldn’t we all just be ourselves and fit in everywhere?

Sometimes people lie about who we are to protect ourselves from ridicule and disappointment. I know that I have done it, but I feel that people do not need to completely change who they are to avoid this. I have known many people to change themselves completely around due to the reasons above. The problem is when they do that they usually lose the people close to them and put themselves in another harms way. Another thing I feel people lose when they do this is their life. I feel that your life and life story are directly linked to your attitude and characteristics. So if you are lying about those things then I feel you are lying about your past and your future, to yourself and everybody else. I do not understand how some one could give up their self, their opinions, their life, or their ideas, basically their own identity, to become someone different. I love myself and I would think everyone else does too, but the truth is that some people do not so they go around changing and lying about who they are this is something I just can not comprehend.