The Love of Life

Ellyse - Western Springs, Illinois

“This is your life and it’s ending one minute at a time,” A quote from Fight Club. As you go on and grow older, learning how to love, express compassion, and understand the purpose of your being you don’t begin to think of the time when your days have become outnumbered and its your time to pass on. You don’t begin to ponder at that thought until you’re old and gray. Even so, what if this time wasn’t when you were growing week with age, what if this happened when you were seven?

Three years ago around the beginning of November our telephone rang as I sat at my kitchen table. My mom answered, listened for a moment while her face was slowly displaying signs of grief. She handed the phone over to my dad and he too reacted in the grave manner. He hung up and bolted out of the door. I asked my mom what had occurred and she told me that my uncle and two younger cousins had gotten into an accident. My heart started pounding just at the thought, not even knowing the seriousness of the situation.

Later that night my dad came home bearing bad news. He told us how my Uncle had cuts on his face and arms and one of my cousins had a broken arm. He then got to the injuries of my other cousin, Carolyn, who was seven at the time. My dad told us that the car hit the side she had been sitting on and she was in a coma. At the time that was all the information he knew until the doctors could analyze her further.

Two weeks later Carolyn came out of the coma, but had serious injuries including a ruptured spleen, lacerated liver, fractured pelvis, and close head injuries. She progressively got better staying in the hospital for a month and a half. When Carolyn returned home she still was not be able to leave the house for three more months but has recovered fully.

After the accident I thought about what if I had been in that situation and almost lost my life, what if the situation had not finished with a happy ending. That’s why I believe that you should always live your life the fullest and follow your dreams because “You never know what you got, ‘til it’s gone.”