I believe grounding is pointless

Jillian - Countryside

I believe that grounding is pointless. Although it does punish kids for doing wrong, it does not change the way they think. Just because kids get caught doing something stupid and chose not to do it again at the risk of being grounded does not stop the kids from wanting to do it again and wishing they could get away with it. Parents feel like they are teaching their children lessons by locking them in a house for a week and keeping them from the world. To me, this punishment accomplishes nothing because the disappointment of a kid’s parents or getting caught itself is enough to make the kids not want to risk it again and realize it is stupid. Often times grounding kids for long periods of time for a simple mistake will give kids the desire to rebel more.

One time I was staying over at my friend’s house that lives down the block from one of our guy friends. He was having some guys sleep at his house that night and we decided to sneak out with them since we were bored and weren’t tired at all. We made it out of the house safely but when we came back in a few hours later we forgot to put the screen back on the window we snuck out of. Her brother was suspicious and eventually we got caught. My friend was grounded for a month with no phone or computer and when her parents called my mom I was grounded for a week. My friend and I were not allowed to be around each other for a while since our parents were so upset. It was bad enough that we couldn’t go out but it was even worse not being able to see my best friend and knowing that her family could no longer trust me.

My point is that it was not the grounding that made me understand why it was a stupid thing to do; it was the disappointment of our parents and getting caught itself. I think more kids would learn what is right and wrong by experiencing it themselves even if it takes a few times. Kids are supposed to make many mistakes and sometimes I think parents expect them to be perfect. They always say they remember what it was like to be young but sometimes their actions don’t follow through with that statement. I think parents should let the kids make their mistakes so they can learn from their own experiences and benefit more from it. After all, they probably made just as many, if not more mistakes when they were children. Kids have to decide what is right and wrong for themselves so they can shape who they are. Parents should be able to trust the way they raised us and trust us to make good decisions even in bad situations because once we’re on our own, we are going to be forced to deal with things by ourselves. Also, we only have one life and I think it is important to take risks and have fun otherwise life itself is not worth it.