This I (Don’t) Believe

Lindsey - Greensboro, North Carolina

I believe that people, especially your family and some close friends, should accept you, no matter what your religious beliefs are. I know it sounds cliché but it is one of those things that will make you a better person. Just recently, I told my divorced parents, separately, that I did not believe in God, Jesus Christ or any other higher power for that matter and that I chose to be agnostic. My dad goes to church regularly and his side of the family is much more religious than my mom’s. Surprisingly, “Deddy” was more accepting of it than mom. He told me that it does not change anything between us and I will still be your “Deddy” and love you just the same. Mama, on the other hand, was a bit upset because she felt like I was lying to her; which in reality I was not, because she never questioned what my beliefs were and she was under the assumption that I was a Baptist.

As for my friends, for the most part, all of us share the same view on religion. My best friend is Catholic and she knows how I feel and she stills treats me the same as when she didn’t know.

Why should it matter what the name of what the person besides you calls god if he even exists? When it comes down to it no one knows what happens after life or how man came along. Maybe instead of calling it “This I believe”, maybe I should call mine, “This I Don’t Believe”.