Play My Music

Jane - Staten Island, New York

Play My Music

When I was little, one of the first songs I ever learned the words to was “Do You Believe in Magic” by The Lovin’ Spoonful. Though I didn’t think much of it at the time, I now realize how accurately that song describes music’s ability to move people in a certain way. Whether it is the catchy elevator music we hear in the mall, the most played songs on our iPods, or the sounds of band pouring their hearts out on stage, music has a much larger impact on our lives than we realize. Because of the way it can heal us and enable us to escape our problems, I believe music is one of the most important aspects of life.

Probably one of the greatest things about music is that someone somewhere is always writing a new song, lyric, or melody, that at one point will coincide with a feeling or memory. We all have soundtracks with specific songs that define moments in our lives and help us to remember the lessons we’ve learned or how we’ve changed. For example, in January a friend of mine passed away and the only thing that enabled me to get through it was not the support of my friends or family, but through the support of the music I listen to. Then one day, I heard a song called “World Spins Madly On” by a band called the Weepies. I had heard it before, but for some reason hearing it at this particular moment it provided comfort and re-assured me that I couldn’t dwell on this moment because the world was moving whether I wanted it to or not. To this day, whenever I listen to this song, it reminds me of this time, but I no longer feel it is a bad thing; it simply calls to mind the lesson I learned from that event.

You know what else is a great thing about music? The way thousands or even millions can be brought together by a single person or song. I experienced this twice over the summer when I went to a sold out concert at Madison Square Garden and another at an outside venue. At one point at Madison Square Garden, the singer stopped in the middle of his song, but the crowd kept singing. Looking around, it was almost as if time stopped for about thirty seconds. Feeling the energy of 25,000 people who were all moved by the same song helped me to realize that music has a unifying quality about it. I again felt this amazing feeling of unification when I attended a concert at an outside venue. The weather was awful, pouring rain, bugs, mud, and everyone was whining and becoming irritated with each other. But what made it so special was that once the band started playing, none of it matter. It poured for the entire set and everyone stood there just singing along. I can honestly say that moments like these are some of the moving I’ve experienced.

Although music can unify people or recall memories, nothing can compare to the pure joy that is felt when you’re listening to one of your favorite songs. Your problems escape from your mind and all that matters at the time is you and the music. I guess you could call it blind love; you’re not sure why you love a song, but the reason doesn’t matter. All that matters is that for the time being, you feel nothing but happiness. Personally, there’s nothing I enjoy more than my walk home from school in which there is nothing around except for me and my music. All of my problems and frustrations disappear and the only thing that’s in my mind is the song I’m listening to.

Music is all around us. If you don’t believe me, take a minute and imagine your life without the music you hear on the radio in the morning, the theme songs you hear at night, or even without the song stuck in your head at this very moment. It enables us to recall the moments and people in life that mean the most to us. Music is one of the most important parts of life, this I believe.