Fit to be Tied

Brian - Springfield, Missouri

“Life happens while making plans,” a quote from John Lennon. My name is Brian Webb and what I believe in is exercise and fitness. I witness the miracle of what exercise can do for the body every day I go to the gym. Motivation and determination are the keys to success in anything. How I wished I believed that when “life did happen” over ten years ago.

I grew up with humble beginnings. Raised in Maysville, Kentucky I led the good life. My parents were happily married. I went to school and to church, typical small town living. I attended the University of Kentucky and graduated with two degrees. I received a bachelor’s in Communications and Broadcast Journalism. I hoped to be a producer at a TV news station.

The week after graduating, I had to find a job. I had student loans to pay. I spent the weekend after graduating, in Maysville with my parents discussing my future. My hopes and dreams. I drove back to Lexington, Kentucky to rest and collect my thoughts. I laid on my couch to relax and then BAM the most excruciating headache that I ever suffered. I got sick and passed out in the bathroom. Fortunately my brother Donny arrived at the apartment, called 911 and an ambulance was on its way.

I was in a coma for three days. I discovered that I had suffered an intracranial hemorrhage. I awoke from my coma in the new world that I now saw. My legs became inoperable due to the injury and lack of any kind of movement. But, I was determined to walk again. I would make strides down the hall and yes I would fall. But, I would get up. I had to. Slowly, I learned to walk again. I had to teach myself basic functions just to survive and try to live a “normal” life. I also discovered the importance of exercise on a regular basis. Becoming fit became my new passion. Fitness is the ultimate equalizer. I can run marathons, me-a man destined never to walk again.

I believe in fitness. Exercise has helped me with depression and has built my confidence. I became certified in 2005 as a personal trainer through the American Council on Exercise. Gandhi said, “Be the change that you want to see in the world.” I want to help people. People need my help, the kind of help that only I can give with my experience as a brain injury survivor. The desire of exercise and fitness has led me to a decision to go back to school and study to become a physical therapist. Some days it is just hard to wake up, other days are easier. Stay strong, persevere and I can overcome anything. As Winston Churchill once said, “Don’t give up, don’t ever give up.”