Save Yourself

Courtney - Monticello, Kentucky

Save Yourself

“The longer you wait the more special it will be,” my mother always told me. She instilled in me that if you wait you get to share that one special moment with the one you are going to spend the rest of your life with. It is like she is living through me because she didn’t wait. Even though she is married to the one whom she spent that one special moment with. I am waiting to find that one.

The base of my belief to save myself for marriage came from being raised in church; I knew that the Bible said that you are to stay pure until marriage. As I got older I realized that it was going to be harder to live by this. In high school I realized I was the only one of my friends who had waited, and a few of them are pregnant now. When one of my best friends who had really big things going for her got pregnant, I decided that I didn’t want to be put in that situation until I was ready, and with the right person.

Believing that you should save sex for marriage affects my relationships. Most guys don’t respect my choice, because of the pressure they have to be cool and fit in with their friends. They really don’t care who they hurt as long as they are happy, which makes it really hard to find someone who respects me. Saving myself for marriage has been a strong belief and choice of mine since I can remember. My choice to stay pure has been tested a lot in my relationships. For instance, I was dating this guy. We dated for 3 years and he knew that I wanted to save myself for marriage. I thought he respected my choice, but he tested me many times, by making me feel guilty and threatening to leave me. It didn’t bother me though, just because I loved him didn’t mean that I was going to have sex with him. He wasn’t the guy for me and I knew if he couldn’t wait till marriage then the relationship wouldn’t go any farther.

The thought of one day not having that connection with my husband just doesn’t seem right. I want to be able to give the gift that I call my own to my husband on that special night. Just being able to share something that is as great as this, with the person I am going to spend the rest of my life with is a choice I have made and I am looking forward to it all.

There are just so many benefits of saving yourself for marriage. I know that I will be able to give myself to my husband and it be intimate. I will not have to worry about my future if I get pregnant. I will be able to share so many things with my husband. If I ever had to go back in the past and had a chance to change all the decisions I have ever made about saving myself for marriage, I wouldn’t I love my life and saving myself for marriage is the best thing you can do for yourself .

The decision that I have made comes up in my everyday conversations. For instance one day I was at work and I was talking to a manager. Some how we got on the subject of having sex before marriage, and I told him that I have respect for myself and I am going to wait for the right person and for marriage. He told me that if I waited then how would I know if it will be what I want it to be. He got me to thinking maybe he is right, then my brain kicked in. It shouldn’t matter if you wait because when you are married you are in love and when the time comes for you to give yourself to your spouse it will be what you want it to be and more.

I know there are more obstacles that I will have to over come in the future and until I get married, and if I keep the same train of thought I will over come them all successfully. I am looking forward to finding more people that have the same belief as me. I want to find that one special guy that can wait till marriage and will wait. I look more and more forward to the future because I know that everything will get more challenging and I know that I can overcome it all, because I believe in my heart that you should save yourself for marriage.