Life is not easy, Life is not fair

Morgan - Monticello, Kentucky

Life is not easy, Life is not fair

I believe life is not fair. I know that sounds kind of harsh, but I’ve watched many people who waste their lives moping around because life hasn’t gone the way they thought it should have.

When I was about four years old all until I was about twelve, I was one of those people. When I was four my parents divorced as young as I was I knew what was going on and still remember it. You might think four is a young age to remember this sort of thing, but I did. I thought my entire world was going to fall apart. All of my friends’ families seemed so perfect, all of their parents were together and they came home to both of them every night. Why couldn’t mine, I asked.

At seven I dropped out of my dance and ballet lessons, I lost all desire, I felt like I was useless. I hardly ever got to see either parent. My mom was always working and my dad moved a city away. Because of all this I feel like I grew up too fast.

When I was twelve, I met my best friend, her life was so much more complicated than mine, her parents were divorced her mom never kept up where she was and her dad didn’t really care. Her life made me feel as if I had been spoiled with such great things. It made me realize that just because one bad thing happened to me that affected everything doesn’t mean that I can just give up hope on my life. Even though my life wasn’t right, I still had a family that cared about me, they just weren’t together.

At first I wanted to feel sorry for her, she felt the same way I did. Nothing could ever go right because of our lives at home. The more I hung around her, the more I got to think. I have to make my life. We both weren’t going anywhere if we sat around and moped about the situation.

I finally realized that I couldn’t control some factors in my life, but I could make some things better. I choose what I do, not what happens to me. I quit waiting for the big break where every thing was going to turn great without any effort. I will take this philosophy with me throughout the rest of my life and think of everything as learning experiences. I have learned that life is not fair.

By: Morgan