Love Doesn’t Have A Color

lauren - monticello, Kentucky

He looked deeply into her eyes as he held her close. She gazed back with bright eyes and a warm smile. He spoke softly and she listened closely. Sounds like the perfect couple doesn’t it, but could you believe that so many people are against them? Here is why.

My mother and I had just finished our argument over something little and dumb. I was upset and needed to talk to someone. The first person that came to my mind was Cameron. I snuck the phone and went to my room. I told him everything that had happened, and he listened and responded like I hoped he would. Whether I was right or wrong, he agreed just to comfort me. After a few minutes, my mother swung the door open and asked who I was talking to. “Cameron,” I replied. She didn’t know who this was and didn’t look happy. She had picked up our conversation over the answering machine. She then took the phone from me and told me not to be on it the rest of the night. I accepted and laid down on my pillow. It was soon wet with my tears. All I wanted and needed was someone to talk to.

That evening my mother asked me to come to the living room to “talk”. I didn’t understand, I thought this was a normal day with an argument between a parent and a teen. I was wrong, really wrong. The first question she asked was if Cameron was “colored”. I replied, “Yes”. That was the beginning of a very long night and week and there isn’t an end.

I quickly learned my family, at home, did not accept interracial couples. My mother explained to me why she did not think it was ok. It even came down to her being afraid I was going to get “beat-up” or possibly shot for dating someone black. My dad told me that someone (an adult) came to him in person and labeled me as a “the “N” word-lover”. No one has ever said anything to me personally. I was confused. I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong and still don’t today. I believe you are able to date and be with whoever you want to. People are not to be judged for their boyfriend/girlfriend’s race. Love is love. Who said it had a color? No one.

Now, I have to sneak on the phone to talk to certain people. I can’t have any black friends call my house. I can’t hang out with some of my friends all because of what people say and do and won’t let the past go. I say the past is past because the way of life isn’t the way it was years ago when mixed race relationships weren’t accepted. We need to make the future different and better. I believe love is love. I believe there is no color in love and race shouldn’t be a factor in choosing who you want to be with. I believe you should love who you want and not worry about others opinions. There are no good reasons we shouldn’t be able to love who we want. Today, when I see a couple, mixed race or not, I look at them with an open mind. They might be going through the same thing I am or having similar issues. I also have caught myself being more open-minded in everything, not just dating.