Smiling and Enjoying the Moment

Kevin - LaGrange, Illinois

Smiling and Enjoying the Moment

On a church mission trip I went on over the summer, I first handedly got to experience what it is like to see someone enjoying the moment. These Native American children live in poverty and with families who abuse them. But when they come to kids’ club everyday during the summer, it is as if they are completely different people. They change from dull and depressed individuals, into kids who have a huge imagination. My buddy Jace, he imagined the street to be hot volcanic ash, then the next minute he imagined the same street to be a refrigerator where he could get his favorite drink, a cold red Gatorade. All of the kids were not afraid to be themselves; they just lived and enjoyed the moment. On that day, I realized how far a smile actually goes. Smiling at somebody could make their day, and make them appreciate how wonderful life actually is.

I believe in enjoying the moment, because that moment will never come again in my life. My friends sometimes come up to me and say that what they are doing with their family this weekend is going to be extremely boring. I used to say that, but now I understand, that if I go into an activity with a bad attitude, then the outcome will never be the best that it could be. On my mission trip, I went into the week predicting that it would be the best week of my summer, getting to meet new people, helping others, and sharing many laughs. Looking back on the week, I recognize that it was so much more than I could have ever dreamed of. It was so much fun because I went into the week with a good attitude, smiled consistently throughout the week, and enjoyed every second I was there.

Since meeting the Native Americans who always smile and enjoy the moment, I believe that I have brightened other people’s days. Who would have thought that abused children, who live in poverty, could ever inspire a kid like me to smile? If I would have never met the Native American boys from Cass Lake, Minnesota, I think I would be a different person. I think I would be less outgoing and enthusiastic. With every new person I see now, I try to give them a smile; cheer up their day, just like the boys from Cass Lake did to me. I believe in smiling and enjoying the moment, because the same opportunity may never come back around again.