Friends are the Necessity to Our Lives

Chih-Heng - 78412, Texas Taiwan

Humans are social beings. We need friends in order to survive. There is nobody who can live without any friend in this world. It is because we all need help from others, and our friends are the people who can give us a hand. At home we depend on our parents, but when we are away from home, we rely on friends.

I have a friend who came to study in Texas A&M-Corpus Christi one year earlier than I did. When we met in Taiwan, she was a good student with a lot of dreams she wish to accomplish. However, when I saw her after I came here, she seems not as happy as she was before. Later on, I realized that she had trouble interacting with Americans. She rarely hanged out with friends even the ones from Taiwan, but spent most of her time at home. I did talk to her about, but she still felt more comfortable the way she was, and then she started to get distracted from the school work. Not long later, I heard she lost her International Opportunity Scholarship, and ended up going home. I was trying help with her grades, but her family insisted to let her go home after she lost the scholarship. The problem with adjusting to the life in college made her fail her dreams, and the only thing I could do to help was to take her luggage. When I saw her off at the airport, I felt sorry for her.

We know friends are important, but people do not just come to be our friends. Most of the time, we all need to go after them and say hi first. If we always wait until others come to talk to us, we will lose many opportunities and not able to make many friends, especially for the people who are in a foreign country like me. I have to say that I was not a really social person. I was shy and cold when I met strangers. However, I have changed tremendously in the two years since I came here. I have become more easy-going, open-minded, and sociable. One reason is due to the American culture. As far as I know, most Americans are really nice and friendly. The other reason is because I realized that I need to make many friends in order to succeed in life. It was an idea in my head for a long time because my parents have talked about the importance of friends from time to time over the years. However, I did not feel the true meaning of their words until I actually went through what I experienced in Indiana as an exchange student.

There were a few times in my life that I lived without any friends around, and that made me feel lonely and helpless. One of these times was when I first came to study in the high school in Indiana. At that time, I left my family and all my friends behind and came here alone. When I first got here, my English was pretty poor, and I did not feel really comfortable to interact with Americans. Therefore, I was afraid to speak up in class and talk to Americans after class. I became really quiet. Most of the people I knew were the ones that sat around me, except for one. There is a unique guy called David in my English class. He did not sit close to me. His seat was far down the corner of the classroom. Because I was an exchange student, I was asked to introduce myself on the first day of the class. I felt a little awkward because we don’t do that in Taiwan, but I still did it anyway. On the second day, a guy said, “Hi! Saxon,” when he came into class. I was surprised that someone would do so, and I didn’t even know what his name was. On the following a few days also, the same guy came to say hi to me on his way to class. By the end of that week, I finally knew his name was David. We then became good friends of each other. He invited me over to his place really often and he also taught me how to go snowboarding. The weather was cold, and I was tired, but it was a lot of fun. After I finished my senior year as an exchange student in Indiana, I recalled what I experienced in the past year. I really appreciated my friend David being so nice to me. When I was lonely and helpless, he sent me a fire so I could stay warm in the winter. In that memorable year, it was the time I felt that friends are really important and the true meaning of my parents’ words.

A person without friends is like a television with no color. It is gloomy, dismal, and lifeless. We need friends to light up our live no matter who we are or what we do. The more friends we have, the better life it is going to be.