All Is Fair

Coty - Monticello, Kentucky

Many times you hear the complaint; life is not fair, but we overlook the fact that it really is. We use this excuse without interpreting simple logic, we fail to realize that life is fair in a sense in which few can comprehend. Life is unfairly fair to us all, we all have to take what is thrown at us and attempt to alter the outcome.

As humans, we have little control to most obstacles we intern face. Perhaps we are wrongly accused of a crime or our mother is diagnosed with cancer. True, these are tragedies which to you may seem unfair, but we quote it before realizing that it could have easily happened to anyone else. We can resolve most of life’s curveballs by avoiding risk, if you play with fire you end up burnt, yet to most of the scenarios we are targets of the flame. It is like each and every one of us as humans have our names placed in a hat, we all have the same probability of circumstance. This probability is uncertain, but still yet fair.

We all face the harsh scenarios that life offers but few times we realize that life deals them to each and every one of us. At age 8, I came home to hear the dreadful death of my uncle. He was to me the hero that every boy possesses. Year after year I spent in the presence of the man who was now dead. The devastations brought about were more severe than any my 8 year old mind had ever endured. I sat unaware at the silent funeral home wondering why, but as I stared across the room I noticed that a family was suffering the same losses in just the next room over. Another little boy had lost his uncle, an innocent woman had lost her husband, a family so undeserving of the event was mourning the same sorrows as I. It was then I realized that it wasn’t a punishment; it’s what makes the world go-round. Death comes with life. I was no longer blind and searching for answers, searching for something or someone to blame, all was fair. Knowing this made me feel as though things would be so much easier to overcome. It brought a dim light to the darkened room.

We expect things to go our way and when they fail to do so we label life as unfair. This excuse should be voided. It would be so much easier to live worry free, not waiting for life to pick on you and send grief in your direction because regardless of who you are, it will happen. This I believe, life is in fact fair and to use the excuse proclaiming otherwise is ignorant and irrelevant to the truth of the matter. Take what you’re given as an experience in life rather than an unfair punishment bestowed by it and you will find it so much more enjoyable. Time and time again I must remind myself of my own theory, because at times, it is hard, yet knowing that life isn’t out for me helps me to find peace. I believe it would help us all if only we could realize that life is fair.