I Believe in Sailor Moon

Dani - Monticello, Kentucky

Heroes today are thought to be people who do extraordinary things or people who help out in little ways. Some people consider celebrities heroes and even more people consider the hardworking law enforcement and firefighters heroes. These are all fine examples of heroes, but I believe in Sailor Moon, a spunky girl living in half-hour cartoon segments . She never falls from grace, into the seedy belly of drugs or breaking laws, her glory never fades and despite her knack for walking into traps she always come out on top in the end, but most of all she’s my hero.

When I was 7 years old, I was an awkward girl, clumsy, and defiantly not what I would call pretty, and I never had a hero who was quite what I was looking for. I needed a role model, and none of the celebrities or typical heroes appealed to me. They were always far more than I was or ever wanted to be, but then I met her. She was older, clumsy, ate too much, was always late and sometimes undependable. But she was a strong woman, who could kick butt in heels and a mini-skirt and never bat an eye. She taught me more in her half hour segments than I learned from almost anywhere else. She taught me to love myself for who I am, and to never let other people boss me around. She taught me that friends are important and that women are just as strong as men. She taught me to be kind, and help others when they need it, and that there was nothing wrong with being shy. She gave me a reason to stand up for myself and encouraged me to try new things.

I believe in Sailor Moon, not only because of the things she taught me or the things she inspired me to do, but also because of what she represents. She was a clumsy 15 year old girl, who could barely walk upright without tripping over her own feet, but she was also a super heroine and more than that she was a princess. She showed me that even the strangest girls could be so much more than what they appeared to be on the outside.

Most of all she inspired one of my, now, greatest passions, art. The style she was animated in, inspired me to pick up a pencil and really try for the first time in my life. Because of her inspiration I started drawing, and because of that I have found what I want to do with my life and made some of the best friends anyone could ask for.