Samantha - Monticello, Kentucky

Have you ever been judged by looks instead of your personality? I am judged by this every day of my life. I’m not exactly normal looking, but people always look at me and think, “Oh! She’s different! She must be mean, stupid, and not have feelings! Let’s make fun of her!” People are people, and shouldn’t be made fun of for looks. I believe people should be able to look how they want and not be judged.

In my high school, people that fall a bit out of the ordinary are picked at. I’m 17 and a senior at Wayne County High. I may not be the brightest bulb in the tanning bed, but I get by. I have a very open personality and I comfort people when they need it. No matter what I can always be someone to talk to when you’re feeling low about something. However, I like my hair short, I like piercings, and I wear black. People look at my outer appearance and assume that I’m a horrid person that is worth absolutely nothing. I have a few teachers that pick on me constantly or that are afraid that I’ll snap on the class one day. I have the suspicion that someone’s afraid I’ll go psycho and run in school with a gun.

I like piercings, just to be blunt. I like being different and I don’t like being like everyone else. I’ve been questioned if I do it because I enjoy pain. No, I do it because I like to make a statement. I want to show that piercings can be beautiful; piercings can make a person look better. I may not be extremely pretty, believe me, I’m not; however, I like how I look with them. Piercings are beautiful; I wish people could see the beauty in them instead of looking at them and seeing just a gross hole in someone’s face.

My piercings make me very different from most people in a crowd. I defiantly stand out with my four lip piercings. Not many people are brave enough to have so many piercings in such a tiny place on their face. I’m not going to lie and say I’m the only person with this many piercings, but it isn’t very common. My piercings make me an individual because they make me look different than most people do; they make me unique in my own beautiful way.

Just because a person has a piercing, doesn’t mean they’re a bad person. Why can’t we all just be accepted for who we are and not what we look like? Why is it when someone wears black that means they automatically worship Satan and hates everyone? Why can’t everyone just be open minded? So many more questions remain in my mind, and I’m forced to think about them daily. I believe we should live in a world where people are people, no matter what race, size, gender, or orientation.