What Goes Up Must Come Down

Terence - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: science

I believe in the laws of gravity. When I was about 7-years-old, I was swimming at the Hinsdale Golf Club with my cousins. We were having fun going off the diving board and showing off for each other. For some reason, though, I must have thought it was necessary to try and disprove the laws of gravity seen everyday in some way or another. I started doing tricks and flips off of the side of the pool that my cousins failed to complete off of the diving board, to show that my dare devil skills were far superior. The first few tricks I did went well – spins, a front flip, dives, and variations of all three. I kept doing flips from the side of the pool and I liked the sensation of almost floating in the air ever so slightly. The stunt session took a break for us to eat lunch and following lunch some water basketball ensued, but before long we found ourselves doing more stunts, though, to see who was “The Best.” This time the stunts became more ridiculous in the pursuit of victory over one another. The first contest was a splash contest which was eventually deemed foolish. Next was a competition to see who could do the most spins in the air before hitting the water. The grand spectacle of stupidity came later as the day was coming to a close: Best Stunt. My cousins thought that their good dives or single flips could bring home a victory, but little did they know, I had a special trick in store for them. I thought that if I ran forward and jumped off the side of the pool but did a back flip, that I would definitely win our little challenge. So, I ran forward, jumped, lingered in the air, started to flip, and landed with my head directly on the gutter. So, it was not a good idea to test laws that have been proven time and time again, but I felt the need, and I paid the price in the form of a concussion, further supporting that what goes up must come down.