Michelle - Countryside, Illinois

This I believe

There isn’t much of a difference between you and me except for the color of our skin, the language we speak or where we came from. Those things in life don’t matter as much as how you treat a person by their personality and not by the color of their skin. This soloemly happens anymore, but people of color still sense the discomfort when they know something isn’t right. They can feel people staring at them like they are some sort of strange creature.

I personally had one of the moments while I was returning from one of my trips. I walked into a gas station to use the washroom and as I walked towards the bathroom, I felt uncomfortable, like I really didn’t belong there because of who I was on the outside. The womyn at the counter stared at me the whole way. The way I felt was indescribable, I felt uncomfortable in the place. I of course told my mom about it and she said that’s just the kind of world we live in. In some places you feel good and in others you feel just horrible.

Back then, races were separated because one race thought themselves superior then the others. This to many people was breath taking because in our very own Constitution it states, “We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal”, if this statement was true then why segregation? For so many years the people of color have pushed themselves to their limits to be accepted in the society that we live in. They had to work twice as hard because of the color of their skin and because no one thought, that hiring a person of color was socially acceptable.

Now society has changed, most people of color are respected, accepted and taken seriously in our society. Yet for some, the people of color should not be able to do the things that a white man can. If you look around you, you can still see the segregation of races. Take Chicago for example, what is the first thing that comes to your mind when someone says, “Southside” or “North-side”, what is the first race that comes to mind?

If you think of the injustice that people of color have put up with for hundreds of years, you will see that still today it happens. You may not notice it but others do. People spend their whole lives to improve the society that you live in to make it a better place for you and the generations that come. Next time that you see a person of color and see what they are wearing, how they talk or what they may do, don’t judge them by what is on the outside, judge them by their character. This I believe, In Justice.