I Believe in Adopting Pets

Catherine - Illinois

I Believe in Adopting Pets

I believe in adopting pets from animal shelters instead of buying them from a pet store. Every time I see the “Pedigree” dog food commercials about homeless dogs, my eyes water. It saddens me to see them staring out from their cages longing for a home. Every dog should have a loving family.

My dog is seven years old and is an adorable Cocker Spaniel that is sometimes very strange. But he was never my ideal dog. Four years ago my family was searching for a puppy. Our ideal dog was a large, loyal, playful, independent breed. It would be a Doberman Pincher, German Shepherd, or Siberian Husky. We looked at many pet stores in the western suburbs and we still did not find the perfect puppy.

One day we bumped into a client of my dad, and she told us that she wanted to give away her dog Cyrus. She lived near my dad’s office. We knew we would not want the dog, but to be polite we went to meet him. My sister approached him with her hand out so he could sniff her, but then he growled and snapped at her.

It was not a good start. This was not a cuddly, friendly puppy of a large breed. Cyrus was an adult dog from a small breed that seemed mean. His owner told us he was nervous around strangers and that he stayed in a crate from six in the morning, until seven at night, while she was at work, and that she rarely had time to walk him, and he wore doggy diapers. Out of pity, we decided to take him for the weekend. At our house he played out side and he was never alone. We walked him all over our neighborhood. He seemed so cheerful. We all fell in love with him, and he never went back to his old home.

Now he is my family’s dog. He may not be the dog we had in mind, in fact the complete opposite. He’s not big or independent. My brother calls him an old man. But in a loving, active home he became, sweet, playful, loyal, and house broken. He’s never alone and even goes to work with my parents. .

Adopting animals is so much better than buying from a pet shop. They buy their animals from puppy mills that are usually horrible to the mothers, and many puppies are inbred and sickly. Many animals at shelters are put down because they do not find homes. Even though going to the animal shelter might not give you the animal you always wanted, it is a lot better. Whenever I am playing with Cyrus, or on long walks I am glad that he has a much better life now than what he had; being kept in a crate alone all day and wearing doggy diapers. Since then, I have always encouraged adoption. It is a great feeling giving a homeless animal a home.