The Importance of Friends

Andrew - Western Springs, Illinois

The Importance of Friends

Throughout my life, I have always had a phenomenal group of friends. From people who are book smart to others who are street smart, I constantly help and get help from my friends. Although some are very different from others, we all get along because we can learn from each other. This is why I believe in the importance of a strong group of friends to help get you through the day.

As a little kid, my three best friends all lived on my block and were the same age. I got along well with all of them by learning to use give and take. Some days, we would go “exploring” in the park or through our back yards, while on others, we would play basketball or war games. When thinking about the most memorable events of my childhood, I constantly look back to the time when my friends and I were in the first grade. One cold winter night, there was a huge snowstorm. The following morning, the four of us set to work building what would become the largest snow fort I have ever seen. We worked all day, digging and digging until we had enough room to stand up inside it. All of us had nonstop fun in that fort, and we stayed outside until our parents forced us to come in. While building the snow fort was a lot of work, I had tons of fun making it and being with my friends.

As my friends and I got older, we began to have different interests. Each of us made new friends, and we saw each other less often. One thing, however, always stayed the same; when we got together, we always had a good time. These times helped me understand the saying once a friend, always a friend. I appreciate how my friends make me laugh, feel inspired to do my best, and help shake off a bad day. The things my friends do for me are extremely important, for their presence is truly missed when they are not around. It’s like a breaking an arm; one does not appreciate it until they can no longer use it.

With each person I meet in my life, I can learn something new. Therefore, my friendships have helped shape who I am. From helping me grow as a person to getting me out of a tight fix, my friends are fantastic. By applying their positive characteristics, I will be able to give back to my friends all they have given to me, and then some.