Music Is the Best Kind of Inspiration

Danny - LaGrange Park, Illinois

Danny Hickey, per. 10

This I Believe Speech

Music is the Best Kind of Inspiration

Have you ever heard a song so powerful that it made you want to go out in the world and make a difference? How about a song so sad and depressing it made you want to go mope in your room for the rest of the day? I personally can’t think of a better song than one that can fill you with so much emotion. Music is basically my life; from when I wake up to when I go to bed, it is all I can think about. It’s always on my mind, and that’s why I believe music is the best kind of inspiration.

Surprisingly, I wasn’t always like this. When I was kid, I hardly ever listened to music; it just didn’t interest me. I know, weird right? That all changed when I was in fourth grade and the band directors at my school came to talk to the whole grade about joining band or orchestra. When I heard they were coming, the first thought that crossed my mind was “Yay, I get to miss class!” I wasn’t really considering joining band, despite my mother’s constant nagging. However, when the directors actually gave their spiel about joining band, I started to change my mind. It was when they started playing, though, that I really changed my mind; they sounded incredible, and I knew that I wanted to sound just like them.

A few weeks later, I went to Park Jr. High to actually try playing the instruments that interested me, particularly the oboe, trumpet, and clarinet. All I could produce on the oboe was squawks, so I moved on to the trumpet. I sounded good for a nine-year-old who had never played before, and I was already thinking that I was going to choose it when I moved on to the clarinet. I don’t want to sound corny, but the instant I put the mouthpiece to my lips, I knew that that was what I wanted to play, and I have been playing ever since.

Since I’ve started playing clarinet, I’ve delved deep into the world of music and discovered many different types, from the score of Pirates of the Caribbean to Kerli, an Estonian singer who I’ve recently added to my iPod. Playing music can be a lot more interesting than listening though. You have to know the notes, rhythms, articulations, and phrasing, not to mention the hours of practice you need to put in every week to improve. Sometimes the music is so difficult that it makes we want to snap my clarinet in half and go to bed. Sometimes, though, when you get past all the tricky notes and rhythms, it’s so fun to play; it’s a great feeling when you know you’ve finally conquered a piece of music and can simply enjoy it for what it is. I really enjoy getting these inspirational feelings – they’re what make my day interesting.

After seven years of studying music, I am seriously considering going into the composing business. I think it would be awesome to write music for movies or even just for high school bands. Even if I end up doing something else, I know I’ll still be playing and writing music in my free time; I really don’t think I could live without it.