gurpreet - union city, California

I had just started going to a new school and didn’t know anybody. I sat alone during all the breaks, including lunch time. An African- American kid comes up to me and asked me if I wanted to play soccer. I replied yes, even though I didn’t know the rules of soccer but, he kindly explained to me how to play. We had become friends. His name was Samuel and helped me with my homework. I had just learned how to multiply and was confused on how to execute some of the equations but, Samuel helped me; he spent more than two hours of his time just to explain to me how to do the math homework. Then there was a time when I had forgotten my lunch at home and when lunch time arrived, Samuel found out and gave me all of his lunch. I tried to give him back the food but, he wouldn’t accept it. Eventually our friendship came to an end because my family was moving to Fremont.

In the Fremont school I met some people who I thought were my friends. They were really kind to me. It had only been one week since I started going to this new school and my new friends convinced me into skipping class with them by telling me that the teacher was going to absent even though the she wasn’t. Finally, when we did decide to come back to class, one of my friends, Rick, told the principal that I was the one to come up with the idea to skip class. I had no idea at all that Rick was going to turn against me. I started to miss my old school and Samuel, my true friend.

I had come to realize that not everyone you think is a friend is a true friend, this I believe. People who are like Samuel are true friends and not like Rick. I believe that you should determine who your real friends are carefully and not to get into unnecessary trouble by trusting fake friends like Rick.