Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and jump

Lauren - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that sometimes in life you just have to close your eyes and jump. My believe was formed with the help of a little girl this summer, at a summer camp where I was training to be a counselor. Everyday I would help supervise the kids while they swam in the lake. And everyday for a week the same little girl would climb up the ladder of the high dive walk to the edge, look down, then shake her head, and turn around to walk back down the ladder. This repeated once a day, everyday for one week. At the end of the week however, the little girl finally jumped off that platform and splashed into the water below. She climbed out of the water with a huge smile on her face, and I asked her why she finally decided to jump. “I was tired of having to keep climbing down that ladder, so I just closed my eyes and jumped”, was her response. I just smiled at her and told her it was great she finally conquered her fear. Though at the time I didn’t really take into account how meaningful her response was.

The first time I really thought about what that little girl had said was a few days latter, I was on a platform harnessed to a zip-line that would send me sliding on a cable, 50 off the ground, through the forest. I am not a huge fan of heights and I was contemplating with myself on whether or not to turn around and climb back down the ladder. Then I remembered what the little girl had told me, just close yours and jump and that’s just what I did, I closed my eyes and jumped. It turned to be one of the most fun things I had ever done. If I hadn’t tried it I would have regretted missing out on the experience. I know now that in some situations its best just to shut the fears and prejudgments out of your head and try something new even if you aren’t sure of the outcome, because you won’t always know what you’ll be missing out on.